When we first got the brief for the Play: Create project I was a bit apprehensive as I’ve never actually done a group project before and the thought of it was really daunting. I was also a bit worried about working with people who I didn’t really know. But luckily, I got a good group and we all pretty much agreed on everything throughout the whole project, which I thought was really good going since it’s not usually easy to get 5 creative people to agree on an idea. After a few trips to the pub trying to think of an idea, we settled on a time-lapse as none of us had done it before and we all wanted to try something new. We did change our mind a few times and had a few technical issues with our first idea but decided on a definite plan with plenty of time.
As a starting point, we all went walking round the city to look for some places that would be interesting to film and decided on 7 different locations. At first we all went out to film together but then we realised we didn’t really need all of us to take the photos, so Charlotte and Matt ended up doing most of it together. I think Matt did most of the editing of the final video and has done a great job of it. We all worked together making the cardboard characters, I actually made two but we didn’t end up using the space invader as it was quite flimsy. This was probably the part that I enjoyed most as it was quite crafty and we all collaborated with it.
Then when it came to making the booklet our plan changed a few times but we got it finished with time to spare, which I thought was good. This was another collaboration from all of us, as while me, Sammy and Chris designed the images and text for the booklet, we all did bits on the putting together of it. Me and Sammy did a few rough plans for what we thought the booklet should look like and settled on using photos that we’d taken in a scrap-book way. Sammy designed the map pages, Chris designed the font and I drew all the characters. However, my character designs didn’t actually end up going in the booklet as they were initially supposed to since they didn’t look as effective in two colour. This was where we got the idea to make them as stickers instead as a solution to this problem. I’m actually glad this happened, since the stickers made the booklet more fun and playful and the other groups seemed to like them.
Overall I’ve enjoyed this project but it has been a lot more difficult than working alone. I had fun going out location hunting and visiting Radio City Tower etc., but getting all of the work together was definitely harder than any of the previous projects. I think it’s quite hard to spread the work load evenly and determine who should do each part when working in a group. It has been an experience though and I’m really glad we did it, as I’ve tried something I’d never done before and got to work with some new people with different skills than I have. I think we worked well as a group and didn’t have many problems or disagreements, so overall I’d say it was a success.
Looking back on the project there isn’t really much I would change about it, apart from adding characters from different games and putting them in more shots. One thing that I regretted was that we didn’t have time to include a ‘making of’ video. Charlotte brought in a video camera and we all filmed little bits of us making the time lapse and travelling round the city, which I thought would have added a lot to our final video. However, we only had a 15 minute time slot and didn’t really have time to put it in our presentation so didn’t end up putting it together in the end.